[PLUG] Shell script syntax

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Wed Oct 1 13:48:02 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Rich" == Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

Rich>   I have 129 files to run through the gocr program; they're all
Rich> in a single directory. Is the following the proper syntax to run
Rich> the conversion?

Nope.

Rich> for i in *.pbm; do `gocr -o $i.txt -i $1.pbm`; done

a) that's not what backticks are for (if you don't know what they do,
   you shouldn't be using them);

b) $1 is a typo;

c) .pbm is already part of what I assume you intended to be $i; and

d) (as stated elsewhere) $i.txt should probably be ${i%%.pbm}.txt.

--
Russell Senior         ``shtal latta wos ba padre u prett tu nashtonfi
seniorr at aracnet.com      mrlosh''  -- Bashgali Kafir for ``If you have