[PLUG] ACPI and suspend on a Dell Inspiron 4000 with Debian unstable

Jeff Schwaber freyley at gmx.net
Wed Oct 1 19:24:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 13:26, Jeff Schwaber wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 09:00, russell-evans at qwest.net wrote:
> > acpid running?
>
> acpid running, no obvious errors in /var/log/acpid.

Well, I thought I found the problem. The Debian kernel images have the
following config option:

# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND is not set

So I compiled a new kernel, with everything else the same, but

CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND=y

But I still get

cat: /proc/acpi/sleep: No such file or directory

and echo 1 > /proc/acpi/sleep gives me

bash: /proc/acpi/sleep: No such file or directory

So nothing's changed.

For people curious, the reason I'm harping on this is that with the 2.6
kernel my computer is actually usable again, as far as a desktop is
concerned (in comparison, the 2.4 kernels are slower than beyond belief,
even with the preempt patch applied). Of course, there's still this
problem, and the problem of the Synaptics Touchpads not working because
the only driver for them in XFree86 is experimental, and they stopped
doing the psaux emulation of them in the 2.6 series.

So...for desktop users, try upgrading to 2.6. For laptops, well...good
luck. It's absolutely amazing the difference.

Jeff