[PLUG] software RAID

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Thu Oct 2 15:19:01 UTC 2003

On Thursday 02 October 2003 2:57 pm, Derek Loree wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 11:26, Mike De La Mater wrote:
> > Is software RAID worth doing?
<snip>

> The biggest advantage is $$$.  IDE drives are not just inexpensive (the
> I in RAID), they are getting to be downright cheap.  This is a very
> small cost for an added layer of recoverability (this is not a
> substitute for regular backups).  For workstations and low overhead
> servers, I have a hard time justifying NOT setting up mirrored
> partitions these days.

Yup, it's a nice thing to have, for all the reasons you said.

> For robust, busy servers, hardware RAID is the only way to go.

Well, I suppose if I wanted to be overly pedantic, I would say "even with a
RAID controller, software is running the show." :)  I think for hardworking
servers it's more important to have SCSI drives, RAID or not. And I agree
that a good hardware RAID controller is a lovely thing to have.

--
Carla Schroder