[PLUG] No more Red Hat ...

Kris krisa at subtend.net
Thu Oct 2 15:37:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 08:08:23AM -0700, Carla Schroder wrote:
> On Thursday 02 October 2003 1:15 am, Brent Rieck wrote:
>

> > Is there a Debian that's not old and crusty but also not "geared towards
> > the lunatic fringe"?
> >
> > --Brent
>
> Yes, testing, aka Sarge. Libranet 2.8 is Sarge-based, and it works fine. The
> main drawback is Sarge security updates are a lot slower than stable (Woody).
> However Libranet issues security patches swiftly. I use plain-vanilla Woody
> for servers, and Libranet for desktop systems.
>
> Unstable (Sid) usually works fine, but when it blows up, it's spectacular.

I have been running Debian since '98.  I would run stable on my servers, and
unstable on my workstation.

Only twice did an 'apt-get update' cause my workstation to break beyond use.  But, I
waited a day (two at the very most), did another 'apt-get update', and everything
was back to normal.

These days I still run stable on my servers (currently woody), and testing on my
workstations.  No issues.  When testing moves to stable I move my workstations to
stable for 6 months or so before going into testing again.

I've also had very good luck with getting testing/unstable deb's to install in
stable.  Sure there was one time where it kicked off an perl dependency upgrade from
hell, but other than that.. ;)

--
I'm just a packet pusher.