[PLUG] PVR Sites?

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Sat Oct 4 07:26:02 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Brent" == Brent Rieck <bsr at spek.org> writes:

Brent> If they do fold I'm actually fairly sure an enterprising hacker will
Brent> figure out how to hack XMLTV into it.

But at some loss.  The TiVo TV Guide is far better and more complete
than *any* free web guide.  That's worth the $12/month *right there*.

Brent> I do think that the only advantage to making your own PVR (and really
Brent> making your own of almost anything) is flexibility of features.  It's
Brent> not cost or convenience, that's for sure.  Right now you can't skip 30
Brent> second blocks on the TiVo

Yes you can.  You have to enable the feature using the well known
"select play select 3 0 select" backdoor, so that probably gets TiVo corp
off the hook for providing a "skip commercials" button.

Brent>  (you can on the ReplayTV I think), nor (out
Brent> of the box) move the files off the TiVo and onto your computer's hard
Brent> drive, both of these were done to keep the lawyers off their
Brent> backs. Being a hobbyist at home nobody is going to sue you for making
Brent> a 30 second ad skip, or having the ability to click and burn an
Brent> ad-removed SVCD of a show (now THAT would be a cool feature).

There's a new product out that is a TiVo bundled with a DVD
burner/player and satellite decoder for about $1000.  So, soon, you'll
be able to burn all your soaps to a DVD to take on a trip.  Not sure
what kind of DRM they'll use.  And if you own two TiVos... you can
already share them with the Home Media Option... record on one TiVo,
play on the other.