[PLUG] PVR Sites?

Dave Clemans dgc at easystreet.com
Sat Oct 4 12:30:02 UTC 2003

Brent Rieck wrote:
> Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
>
>> Yes you can.  You have to enable the feature using the well known
>> "select play select 3 0 select" backdoor, so that probably gets TiVo corp
>> off the hook for providing a "skip commercials" button.
>

> I think that's only for the series 1 TiVos, nobody has found the special
> remote control dance to get 30 second skips on the series 2 yet I
> believe. :(

No, SPS30S works fine on series 2 systems.  I've got one.

>> And if you own two TiVos... you can already share them with the Home
>
>  > Media Option... record on one TiVo, play on the other.
>
> Yeah, the Home Media Option isn't the finest of options I've read - it
> takes many, many hours to move shows from TiVo to TiVo (even if you're
> on ethernet).  Having never used it I don't really know though, that
> might all be wrong - at 10Mb you should be able to watch an MPEG2 stream
> from your other TiVo directly I'd think though!  Most of my DVD's
> average 5-ish Mb/sec.

If you're using hmo to watch shows on another tivo, speed depends on the
compression level.  For recordings at the highest quality (thus largest
size on disk), transfer is slightly less than real time.  Anything else
is faster than real time.

hmo can also of course be used for other things (pick up mp3 files from
your home system; pick up jpeg files; various internet streaming radio
stations, etc.).

dgc