[PLUG] Red Hat 8.0 weirdness.....

Erik edasher at javelin.net
Sun Oct 5 10:22:02 UTC 2003

Brian,

You ethernet card is maintaining link to the router even when your
machine is off because of some power management settings.  You should be
able to set your machine's BIOS and/or the network card driver to one of
the following behaiviors:
1.	No Power Mangement / Don't maintain link on power off.
2.	Power Management / wake from power off on link change
3.	Power Management / wake from power off on any traffic directed
to NIC's mac address.

Some NIC / BIOS combinations allow for more options.  Some for slightly
less.  I've listed the most common.

The BIOS setting are fairly easy to find.  The NIC settings are entirely
different.  If you are using an Intel based NIC, you can use PROBOOT.EXE
to modify the NIC's settings, but I think you'd have to boot to DOS to
do it.  I'm unsure if intel drivers allow to modify these setting from
within Linux.

Hope that helps,
EcD.