[PLUG] Why create a boot partition?

Michael C. Robinson michael at goose.robinson-west.com
Sun Oct 5 13:09:01 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 12:29, Brian Quade wrote:
> Michael, if all the different companies could agree on one standard for
> everything, it would all be so much more simple.  But then again, there
> would be less incentive for people to try to come up with alternate
> solutions to old problems.  There is a lot of information about
> partitioning and how it all works, and the different kinds of partitions
> on the Internet (too much for me to list here).  Most operating systems
> are designed to use their own proprietary partitions, but many of them
> recognize others as well.  As far as I know, most distributions of Linux
> recognize up to 100 different types of partitions.

I don't think it's a matter of one standard, it's a matter of being able
to simply tell where the partitions are from within any environment.
I'm not interested in the physical partitions so much themselves as
the alignment issues that come up trying to mix types and trying to
use XOSL for example.

I guess the only solution for those who want to be especially safe is
one operating system per hard drive.

One problem with information is getting the information that fits
the situation you're in.  So much patching for so long suggests
understanding how hard drives work in PC's today is hardly worth
it over developing a replacement standard.  Though that's happening
it looks like with serial ATA.

     --  Michael