[PLUG] Setting up network in Slackware-9.0

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Oct 5 17:12:02 UTC 2003

  I did not have the cable plugged in to the new box when I installed
Slackware-9.0 last evening, so I skipped setting up the network.

  Today I tried to get it up and running, but without success. I have copied
over all the correct content in /etc/host*. According to dmesg on the new
box, the NIC is recognized and loaded, but other modules are attempted with
failures due to resource conflicts.

  I cannot change the hostname (so it sticks after a reboot), and cannot
bring up the eth0 interface with ifconfig. I've followed the network
installation in the "book" on the Slackware site, but this time it's just
not working for me. Each of the other two times I've installed slack it's
been on a portable and the network cable has been plugged into the pcmcia
NIC.

  After flailing around a while, I'd appreciate some guidance (off or on the
list) where to start looking.

TIA,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President