[PLUG] Setting up network in Slackware-9.0

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Sun Oct 5 19:16:02 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 17:11, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   I did not have the cable plugged in to the new box when I installed
> Slackware-9.0 last evening, so I skipped setting up the network.
>
>   Today I tried to get it up and running, but without success. I have copied
> over all the correct content in /etc/host*. According to dmesg on the new
> box, the NIC is recognized and loaded, but other modules are attempted with
> failures due to resource conflicts.
>
>   I cannot change the hostname (so it sticks after a reboot), and cannot
> bring up the eth0 interface with ifconfig. I've followed the network
> installation in the "book" on the Slackware site, but this time it's just
> not working for me. Each of the other two times I've installed slack it's
> been on a portable and the network cable has been plugged into the pcmcia
> NIC.

Have you run netconfig?  Assuming this is a PCI NIC, you should be able
to just manually edit /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 to match your setup.

What kind of a network card is it, though?  When you're doing everything
manually, are you able to properly load the right module, and then run
ifconfig, set up DNS, then set the default gateway?

AFAIK, editing /etc/hostname sets the hostname so it sticks after a
reboot, but I could be mistaken there.

I'm not able to tell for sure if the PCMCIA NIC is what we're talking
about in this case - if it is, edit /etc/pcmcia/network.opts to match
your setup and see if you have more luck that way.

We can get this thing solved, you might just need to flesh out the
problem a little bit more.  :-)

Rob