[PLUG] cdrw won't mount or write, wrong /dev link, don't know how to change it

Brian Quade serendipity at pobox.com
Sun Oct 5 21:57:01 UTC 2003

I am running RH7.3 and I am pretty sure that my cdrw drive is set up
incorrectly.  I changed my grub.conf for scsi emulation which seems to
work fine because cdrecord "looks" like it is writing to the cd.  But no
data goes on to it.  I read somewhere that if you can mount your cdrw,
then it should be set up correctly to write to it (I did not try to
mount it before writing though).  But after testing that, I can not
mount it and I think that is the problem.  fstab lists it as hdd, but my
RedHat Hardware Browser lists it as hdc.  There is a link called
/dev/cdrom1 that points to /dev/hdd, but as far as I can see my system
does not have a /dev/hdd.  Anyway, I used ln to create a link called
/dev/cdrw to point to /mnt/cdrw and I created /mnt/cdrw and deleted
/mnt/cdrom1, which was there before.  I also edited fstab to reflect
those changes, which I discovered since then is not the way to do it.
 Then I restarted the system, and it restored everything to the way it
was.  I used grep to try to find any files that contain 'hdd' or
'cdrom1' but could not find any.  So I am at a loss as to how to let the
system know that my cdrw is on /dev/hdc (which the Hardware Browser and
some of my software packages already know), and change the link that
points to it to 'cdrw' rather than 'cdrom1'.  I read a little bit about
fsck and mkfs, but I am not really sure those are what I need to use
either and I don't want to screw up anything really important in my file
system.  Any advice?