[PLUG] cdrw won't mount or write, wrong /dev link, don't know how to change it

Brian Quade serendipity at pobox.com
Sun Oct 5 23:00:02 UTC 2003

No, I'm not burning in test mode.  I originally had someone at a
computer shop add the cdrom after the cdrw was already in there.  I know
that /dev/cdrom pointed to /dev/scd0 before I started messing with it
and /dev/cdrom1 pointed to /dev/hdd.  But my hardware browser always
told me that the cdrom was scd0 and the cdrw was hdc, but I think it
should be the other way around.  Does that seem right to you?  Shouldn't
it be the other way around?

When I change grub.conf back to use hdd for scsi emulation and reboot,
the hardware browser shows the cdrom as scd0 and the cdrw as hdc and
cdrecord -scanbus reports the cdrom as 0,0,0 and does not report the
cdrw.  When I change grub.conf to use hdc for scsi emulation, the
hardware browser shows the cdrom as hdc and the cdrw as scd0 and
cdrecord reports the cdrw as 0,0,0 and does not report the cdrom.  This
is a dual boot system and when I boot into Windows both drives work fine
and I can write cds on the cdrw.  Does that mean that the drives are set
up as master and slave correctly or does it just mean that Windows uses
some kind of voodoo to figure it all out?