[PLUG] swap space on separate physical drive?

Brian Quade serendipity at pobox.com
Mon Oct 6 09:37:02 UTC 2003

I am reinstalling Linux on a machine that has a 120G and a little 3G
drive.  I was trying to figure out what to do with the 3G drive and I
thought I could use it as a really big amount of swap space.  I have
heard that the swap space should be twice the amount of memory, and I
have 256M of memory.  So my questions are:

Would 3G of swap space be overkill or a waste of hard drive space for a
system with 256K of memory?  Or might it actually be a great idea since
I have the extra space?  Would having my swap space on a separate
physical hard drive make the system run slower or faster, or make no
significant difference at all?

What would be the pros and cons of using the separate 3G drive for
/boot?  What about /var?

Any input is welcome.