[PLUG] NFS and/or alternatives

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Mon Oct 6 13:42:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Jason Van Cleve wrote:

> Also, NFS development, at least at that time, was very active,
> working out some minor issues; so I'm guessing it's in good shape by
> now.

patches flying left and right nearly every day. :-) The most
frequently mentioned bugfix issues these days concern a) diskless
clients and b) interoperability with other other operating systems.
The biggest development issue is NFSv4, and that's still in early
alpha stages.

In general, 2.4.2x offers reasonable NFS performance and stability
from both the server and client side. I don't think it's as good as
Solaris, but the margin is mighty narrow.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>