[PLUG] Comcast problems?

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Mon Oct 6 14:37:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 14:18, Steve Bonds wrote:

> Sad, since the advantage of a shared DNS is that other peoples' lookups
> get cached so you don't have to repeat them yourself.  What does it say
> about Comcast's DNS that a local DNS that has to do each lookup all the
> way from the root servers is faster?

Would a better combination be utilizing 'forward first' in your
named.conf - or would that always wait for a reply from the forwarders
before talking to the root dns servers?

If that caused named to query the forwarders and a root server
simultaneously then provide the first response to come back, I think
that would be an ideal solution.  Anybody know how this works in
practice?

Rob