[PLUG] Comcast problems?

Kyle Hayes kyle at silverbeach.net
Mon Oct 6 18:30:02 UTC 2003

On Monday 06 October 2003 14:18, Steve Bonds wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Kyle Hayes kyle-at-silverbeach.net |PDX Linux| wrote:
> > The last few days, I've been noticing that the transfer rates are just
> > fine, but getting connected to a web site takes up to a minute.  Things
> > that I hit multiple times per day, like lwn.net, take a minute just to
> > route.  I'm fairly sure it isn't DNS since I don't point to Comcast for
> > DNS.  I've tried switching around the DNS server entries in
> > /etc/resolv.conf just to see if that helps, and nothing changes the
> > results.
>
> Their DNS has been really bad lately.  I finally threw in the towel and
> installed the "caching-nameserver" RPM, started up named, changed my
> resolv.conf to 127.0.0.1 and moved on.  Those web pages sure are a lot
> snappier now!
>
> Sad, since the advantage of a shared DNS is that other peoples' lookups
> get cached so you don't have to repeat them yourself.  What does it say
> about Comcast's DNS that a local DNS that has to do each lookup all the
> way from the root servers is faster?

I already point my base DNS service to other DNS servers.  And, I run a
caching server.  That's why I said I was fairly sure it wasn't DNS above.
Direct timings on DNS show that it isn't too bad for me, but I'm not going
through Comcast at all for it.

It is something else that is causing the problem.  I am still having it, but
not as bad as before.

Best,
Kyle