[PLUG] Why create a boot partition?

Michael C. Robinson michael at goose.robinson-west.com
Mon Oct 6 23:28:02 UTC 2003

> You're asking questions about why computers manufactured today
> have the same limitations as computers designed in 1981. In
> addition to partition table limitations we also have a
> limit on the number of video cards that can be supported.
>
> It's because today's computers are the same basic design as
> the 1981 computers. The PC design should have been retired
> years ago. Instead, it's kept alive by, well, inertia I guess.
>
> Imagine if today's space probes used the same basic design as,
> say, Voyager. Now imagine the PC.
>
> Ed

I guess Ranish partition manager uses a partition to run out
of that I can write to.  How hard would it be to modify the
program so that you can label every partition or in the case
of ext3 partitions see the partition labels?  I like the interface
for Ranish but I wish it partitioned the same way disk druid
does maintaining the copy partition to open space or another
adequately sized partition feature before an OS even has to
be booted up.

     --  Michael