[PLUG] Kernel problems

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Oct 7 14:51:01 UTC 2003

  Reconfiguring the BIOS to "high performance" let the kernel see the Athlon
2100+ for what it is (but at 1.77GHz rather than the 1.83GHz it's supposed
to be), but now I have other problems.

  The network does not come up after booting. There have been two kernel
panics (a new experience here), and now when I try to invoke, 'ifconfig eth0
up' I see:
kernel BUG at page_alloc.c:100!]
invalid operand: 0000
<info on the cpu and registers>
eth0: unknown interface: No such device.

  This is with the 2.4.22 kernel that was put into place when I upgraded
yesterday from Slackware-9.0 to -9.1.

  So, I suppose that a kernel rebuild is the first order of business.
However, if any of you have other insights or suggestions for me, please
pass them on.

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President