[PLUG] Kernel problems

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Oct 7 15:41:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, Grigsby, Garl wrote:

> 	In my experience the high performance options usually result in an
> 	unstable machine. They tend to overclock the system some and cause
> 	all kinds of issues. What you really need to do is to find the
> 	correct settings in your BIOS for you MB/CPU. So what Mainboard are
> 	you using? Given that somebody should be able to tell you what
> 	switch to poke.

Garl,

  It's an MSI Socket-A VIA chipset KT333 with audio KT3 Ultra2. That's what
it says on the receipt.

  Supposedly, the folks at ENU sold me components that worked together. The
RAM is DDR 512M 333MHz PC2700.

  When I looked at the BIOS settings last evening (in reply to Paul's
comments), I found a section that reported CPU and ambient temperatures.
Both seemed reasonable to me. I wish there was a way to display those
temperatures on the console. (X not being run since I need to get another
mouse for this box; the Fellowes "Micro Trac" finger trackball locks the
machine.)

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)