[PLUG] wacky Pentium-200 MHz/Adaptec DuoConnect PCI card behavior

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Wed Oct 8 01:19:01 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Derek" == Derek Loree <drl at drloree.com> writes:

Russell> I just innocently plugged an Adaptec DuoConnect PCI card
Russell> (USB2 and Firewire) into an old crufty Pentium-I 200MHz box
Russell> and it wouldn't power up!  No lights, no fans, no nuthin'.
Russell> Pull the DuoConnect, boots fine.  Unplug stuff, no
Russell> difference.

Russell> Anybody see this before?  Not that it's a big problem, the
Russell> P200 is way overdue for retirement and its upgrade is going
Russell> to help fund a new P4 for me (I am swapping a working P3 in
Russell> exchange for funds that will let me populate an existing P4
Russell> board), so I am not complaining too hard, but WTF?

Derek> I've seen a weak power supply do this kind of thing, easy
Derek> enough to test.

Yeah.  I did test.  Dumped load (unplugged drives) still not even a
shudder.  Not the behavior I'd expect from a weak power supply.  Then
again... WTF!  I mean, conflicting interrupts aren't going to prevent
an AT power supply fan from spinning.  This is pre-ATX.  The power
supply knows diddly about the motherboard state.  All it knows is that
Mr Thumb just pushed the Big Red Switch.

--
Russell Senior         ``shtal latta wos ba padre u prett tu nashtonfi
seniorr at aracnet.com      mrlosh''  -- Bashgali Kafir for ``If you have