[PLUG] NFS and/or alternatives

Kris krisa at subtend.net
Wed Oct 8 12:32:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 09:44:32PM -0700, Kenneth G. Stephens wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 07:15, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> > On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Russell Senior wrote:
> >
> > > What are people using these days?  Is it still NFS uber alles these
> > > days or are there workable/preferable alternatives?  If NFS,
> > > kernel-space or userland?  Thanks for pointers/recommendations.
> >
> > I haven't tried any of the NFS alternatives (Coda et al.) so I may not
> > be the best source of info -- but the kernel-space NFS stuff has
> > worked very well for me.
> >
> > --Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>
> Also, if you are mounting stuff NFS, use the nfsvers=3,tcp options.  The
> version 2 client sucks, to put it mildly.

You might want to test the tcp option.  On a LAN, performance can be greatly
degraded by using tcp instead of udp.  I always specify tcp for VPN or WAN
mounts.

Here are my standard mount options:

-o rsize=8192,wsize=8192,hard,intr,proto=udp

This is the environment I use for amd on rh7-9 going to an Auspex NFS filer
(Solaris 6 based).

--
I'm just a packet pusher.