[PLUG] Strut

Ben Mabbott bmabbott at riverdale.k12.or.us
Wed Oct 8 13:17:02 UTC 2003

Keith Lofstrom wrote:

>Years ago, I took a bunch of old computers over to Strut.  A giant
>warehouse full of old computers and not much activity.  I was
>reminded of the warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.
>I imagine my computers were still sitting in that warehouse when
>they closed.

Actually, your computers are probably being put to good use in a rural
school right now.  Yes, Strut tended to have stacks and stacks of old
computers that seemed to languish there, but they didn't go to waste.
Once a year they would have a conference during which all the schools
that were too far away to come on a regular basis would show up and take
stuff by the truckload.  There are many rural schools out there that
aside from a few ancient Macs would have no computers to speak of if not
for Strut.  That alone made it a worthwhile program, not to mention
their excellent recycling program, and the classes they taught.

Not that FreeGeek isn't great too, but Strut was definitely a worth
cause to donate to.

-Ben