[PLUG] wacky Pentium-200 MHz/Adaptec DuoConnect PCI card behavior

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Wed Oct 8 19:56:02 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Russell" == Russell Senior <seniorr at aracnet.com> writes:

>>>>> "Grigsby" == Grigsby, Garl <garl.grigsby at plms-eds.com> writes:
Grigsby> Is this a 3.3 or 5 V card?

Russell> Card is Adaptec AUA-3020.

Russell> Package insert says both.

Russell> Am about to find out if it is the card, installing in the P3.
Russell> Listen for smoke alarms.

Worked fine in the P3, so call off the fire engines.  Only a couple
surprises, which should have been anticipated:

  a) box is a print server with two printers, the second parallel port
     being provided by an even older ISA I/O card.  Gong!  No more ISA
     slots in the newer motherboard.  Fortunately, one of the printers
     is newer and had an USB socket.  Recompiled the kernel for USB
     printer support (got *lots* of USB ports these days), edit
     /etc/printcap and back in business.

  b) keyboard is an old-style AT keyboard.  Could find an adapter, but
     I think I'll just spring for another $10 PS/2 keyboard.

Old P200 box is off to free geek.

--
Russell Senior         ``shtal latta wos ba padre u prett tu nashtonfi
seniorr at aracnet.com      mrlosh''  -- Bashgali Kafir for ``If you have