[PLUG] Continuous DHCP lease request by Netgear WAP?

Scott Chapman scott_list at mischko.com
Thu Oct 9 09:43:12 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 08 October 2003 19:03, brmiller at kudzuforest.com wrote:

<snip>

> It looks like it's asking for a new DHCP lease every minute or so.  Is this
> normal?  My default and maximum lease times are 6 hours and 7 days,
> respectively. Why all the DISCOVER/OFFER/DISCOVER/OFFER/REQUEST/ACK
> traffic?
>
> As near as I can tell, there is no way to make the access point "shut up".

Is it ever ACCEPTING a DHCP address? I suspect that the DHCP client is not
compatible with your server some how.  Can you ping the access point once it
has supposedly received its IP address or use it?

I'd use Ethereal and have a look at the packets that are flying around on this
one and see if any clues can be found there.

Scott