[PLUG] Hosting on DSL

Josh Orchard josh at emediatedesigns.com
Fri Oct 10 12:42:02 UTC 2003

> Question:
>
> Is it advisable to host low to medium traffic corporate websites on DSL?
> I've been hosting a few .org and other non commercial sites on my
> symmetrical 640k Quest DSL for a few years now and never heard much in
> terms of complaints. Of course, non paying clients have a better
> tolerance level and probably never reported when a site was down. But
> now there is a customer asking a friend and business partner of mine to
> host their corporate site for a fee. My friend has a symmetrical 768K
> line with Verizon and Hevanet. So I called Hevanet and asked for case
> studies or statistical material we could use to determine the
> reliability. Nothing available. Do any of you run commercial sites on
> DSL and has it worked out for you?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Holger

Well, I use my DSL for some commercial secondary DNS only.  Thinking of maybe using
it for reduntant systems if I can.  But you should know.  The phone company has no
obligation to put the DSL up if it fails.  Well they do, but it is a last priority
item.  Meaning that if the phone lines go down, they will fix high speed access then
ISDN then DSL.  We use to have an ISDN line be reduntant before DSL because the
phone company would fix that long before they fixed voice or DSL.

So, the question may be, how important is it that the site always be up for your
customer and will they be upset if it is down for a long time?

That said.  My DSL for the last 7 years has been down about 2 days.  So I'd say, it
is pretty reliable. ;-)

Josh