[PLUG] Question on GUI DVD Data burning software

Jason Van Cleve jason at vancleve.com
Fri Oct 10 19:22:01 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 18:15, Alan wrote:

> Does anyone have any recomendations on a GUI DVD burning program for
> Linux.  I have not found one yet, but I expect I am missing something.
> I could use the command line, but with the amount of data I need to back
> up, it would be a royal pain.

I've been hearing lots of praise for k3b, which is a front end for
cdrtools (as is x-cdroast, I suspect).  But I didn't install it, because
it has too many dependencies, and I'm on a dial-up.  Looks splashy,
though.

On the other hand, a script can make those CLI tools pretty agreeable.
My system is fast enough to pipe the mkisofs output directly to
cdrecord, so I can do this:

mkisofs -R $* | cdrecord -v dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 speed=12 -

And here $* can be files or a directory, so it's handy.  Of course, it
may or may not be so simple with a DVD burner.

--Jason Van Cleve