[PLUG] PGP Sigs in Spam

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Oct 12 09:49:01 UTC 2003

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, Carla Schroder wrote:

> If you really want to get sucked into a time sink, visit
> news.admin.net-abuse.blocklisting, and news.admin.net-abuse.email.

  No thanks. I have a book to write in my "spare" time.

> Posters play dumb and repeatedly post DMA (Direct Marketer's Association)
> email addresses, so they will be harvested by spambots.

  I like this! I'll have to think where and how to help the effort.

> It's a difficult issue to legislate, I suppose it's too much to hope that they
> will listen to real people, instead of marketingdroids.

  Frankly, I don't think legislation will do any good one way or the other.
We now have federal prohibitions against fax spam; doesn't help. And only
the retired folks on faxspam.org have the time (and energy) to take the
faxers to small claims court and sue them. Over and over again. When the fax
spammers lose, they just move on to a different name. Just like the USE
slime.

  To keep it all in perspective, remember that regardless of which political
party is in power in Washington (DC, that is), the Golden Rule applies: he
who has the gold, rules. Remember the Microsoft "settlement" with the DOJ.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
                         http://www.appl-ecosys.com/