[PLUG] marking spam from your MUA

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sun Oct 12 10:22:01 UTC 2003

I use bogofilter with procmail and mutt, and use the following addition
to my .muttrc file to mark spam.  Perhaps you spamassassin folks can
use something like it:

excerpt from $HOME/.muttrc :

#from Linux Journal "Busting Spam with Bogofilter, Procmail, and Mutt"
#by Nicky Moffitt Nov 11, 2002  (on the web)

macroindex s "<enter-command>unset wait_key\n<pipe-entry>bogofilter -N\n<enter-command>set wait_key\n<save-entry>"
macropager s "<enter-command>unset wait_key\n<pipe-entry>bogofilter -N\n<enter-command>set wait_key\n<save-entry>"

macroindex r "<enter-command>unset wait_key\n<pipe-entry>bogofilter -n\n<enter-command>set wait_key\n<reply>"
macropager r "<enter-command>unset wait_key\n<pipe-entry>bogofilter -n\n<enter-command>set wait_key\n<reply>"

macroindex g "<enter-command>unset wait_key\n<pipe-entry>bogofilter -n\n<enter-command>set wait_key\n<group-reply>"
macropager g "<enter-command>unset wait_key\n<pipe-entry>bogofilter -n\n<enter-command>set wait_key\n<group-reply>"

macroindex l "<enter-command>unset wait_key\n<pipe-entry>bogofilter -n\n<enter-command>set wait_key\n<list-reply>"
macropager l "<enter-command>unset wait_key\n<pipe-entry>bogofilter -n\n<enter-command>set wait_key\n<list-reply>"

macro index X "<enter-command>unset wait_key\n<pipe-entry>bogofilter -S\n<enter-command>set wait_key\n<save-message>=zzspam\ry" "save in spam folder"
macro pager X "<enter-command>unset wait_key\n<pipe-entry>bogofilter -S\n<enter-command>set wait_key\n<save-message>=zzspam\ry" "save in spam folder"

$HOME/.procmail :
i:0fw
| bogofilter -u -e -p -o 0.300

:0e
{ EXITCODE=75 HOST }

# file the mail to spam-bogofilter if it's spam.
:0:
Mail/zzspam

Note that all of this occurs at the user level.

For you bogofilter fans, bogofilter shipped with a threshold of 0.900 .
After watching what it did for a few weeks, I tuned it down to 0.300 ,
since out of a few thousand messages only 11 real messages exceeded
a threshold of 0.2 and none exceeded 0.25 .  I now get about 400 spams
a day stored in zzspam, and about 10 make it through to disturb me.
My peace of mind is greatly improved.

Bogofilter is a Baysean text recognizer.  I like the ability to tune
it, but it is a one-trick pony and uses only the one algorithm.
I would like to add additional programs to the pipe that recognize
such spam classics as random strings in the subject line, and
strange HTML in the body of the text, then a Baysean scoring engine
at the end of all the pipes.  I do not like the Spamassassin "all
in one" approach - it does not have Unix nature, and it is hard
to add third party modules to, if I understand it.  So for now,
I'll just use bogofilter and hope the world wises up.

Keith

--
KeithLofstrom           keithl at ieee.org         Voice (503)-520-1993
KLIC--- Keith Lofstrom Integrated Circuits --- "Your Ideas in Silicon"