[PLUG] Linux-friendly notebook

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Sun Oct 12 15:18:02 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-12 at 15:02, Brent Rieck wrote:

> That's an excellent price for a tiny notebook I think.   Do you (or
> anybody else listening in) have any experience with the Crusoe
> processor?  Is it really "as good" as an Intel or AMD in terms of
> performance?

I don't have any personal experience with the Crusoe processors... but
have read up on them (and most other x86 CPUs) at every opportunity I
get.

I remember when Transmeta announced the fruits of their labor after so
many years of no substantial information getting out.

Anyway - the CPUs are amazing when it comes to power consumption.  They
are, however, slower than just about anything you can buy today, in
actual performance.  If you think you'll do a lot of compiling, any 3D
gaming, or other CPU-intensive tasks on it, go with an Intel or AMD.  If
you'll not be doing very much of that stuff, it'll work great for you,
at a great amount of battery life savings.  Get a faster hard drive and
you'll get a bigger boost in day-to-day application speeds.

Rob