[PLUG] Linux-friendly notebook

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Oct 12 21:45:02 UTC 2003

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> I suppose the IBM T-series notebooks are bigger than you'd like -- they
> include a DVD-ROM drive, on-board NIC, &c. -- but I really like them. Red
> Hat Linux installs very cleanly on them, so I suppose Slackware would as
> well.

Paul,

  I'll take a look at them. I was looking closely at a Sharp (with an AMD
1800+ CPU) but a friend who works for them tells me he's never been able to
successfully install linux on one of their laptops.

> They aren't ultra lightweights, but they sure run quickly. :-)

  I guess I've been spoiled by the Portege. I don't need a DVD, CD-ROM or
floppy drive built in. External is just fine, as far as I'm concerned. But,
apparently there are no longer machines made like this. At least, not that
are known to support linux.

Many thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President