[PLUG] First run of pflogsumm, talk about troubling results...

Ian Burrell ian at znark.com
Sun Oct 12 22:39:02 UTC 2003

Michael C. Robinson wrote:

> Everything in it is illegit and looks like trash trying to
> bounce.  Is there a way for me to suspend the queue to
> purge, delete, all queued deferrals and bounces?
>
> I'm trying reject_invalid_hostname and reject_unknown_hostname
> now.
>
> There shouldn't be anyone sending me email that doesn't have a
> public A or MX record to look them up at even though hardly
> anyone runs a PTR zone anymore.

Check why the trash are is being bounced.  Some of the spam checks like
reject_invalid_hostname and reject_unknown_hostname will reject email
before it is even accepted by your SMTP server.  The bounces must be
getting through those.  Spamassassin can be setup to save the spam in a
trap or throw it away without any bounces.  Postfix can be setup to
reject email to non-existant addresses before it is accepted which means
no bounce messages.

  - Ian

ian at znark.com
http://www.znark.com/