[PLUG] New kernel won't boot

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Mon Oct 13 13:01:01 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Rich" == Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

Rich>   From /usr/local/src/linux-2.4.22/ I ran 'make install'. When
Rich> it finished I saw nothing different in /boot. I still have the
Rich> same problem. What step have I missed here? Do I remove the new
Rich> kernel, config and System.map from /boot and re-run 'make
Rich> install'?

Just to sanity check, is there space on the partition?

Also, do you have an /sbin/installkernel?  If so, it is worth a look
to see what it does.

If you've got space and /sbin/installkernel, then:

 a)  save your .config (just to be safe)

     $ cd /usr/local/src/linux-2.4.22
     $ mv .config ../config-2.4.22

 b)  clean the source tree

     $ make mrproper

     or to be _really_ sure:

     $ pushd .. ; rm -rf linux-2.4.22 ; tar xjvf linux-2.4.22.tar.bz2 ; pushd

 c)  restore the .config

     $ mv ../config-2.4.22 .config

     note that once you've been using "make install", you'll have a
     variety of previous config files in your /boot

 d)  configure using old .config

     $ make oldconfig

 e)  here's how I build kernels, there are variations, but this works
     for me:

     $ make dep ; make ; make modules ; su -c 'make install ; make modules_install'
     You compile as a regular user, install as root.  When you get to
     the "su" bit above, you'll be prompted for the root password.

 f)  assuming GRUB, as root edit /boot/grub/menu.lst with editor of
     your choice, then reboot.  My menu.lst entries look like:

     default saved
     timeout 5

     title   GNU/Linux (2.4.22)
     root    (hd0,0)
     kernel  /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22 root=/dev/hda1
     savedefault

     [...]

Why don't you try that and report back if/where things seem to go wrong.

--
Russell Senior         ``shtal latta wos ba padre u prett tu nashtonfi
seniorr at aracnet.com      mrlosh''  -- Bashgali Kafir for ``If you have