[PLUG] New kernel won't boot

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Mon Oct 13 15:09:02 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Rich" == Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

Rich>   In process. As a user I apparently don't have sufficient
Rich> rights in /usr/local/src/linux-2.4.22 to run make without
Rich> generating errors. So, I'm doing it all as root.

Before unpacking the tarball, do something like this:

  $ su -c 'chown rshepard.user /usr/local/src'

Or just compile it in your home directory tree.  There is nothing
magical about /usr/local/src or /usr/src.

Rich>   No /sbin/installkernel on this system.

Hmm.  Try this one:

  <http://www.aracnet.com/~seniorr/installkernel>

It is swiped from the debianutils, but isn't really debian specific in
any noticable way.  I have commented out the final "mkboot -i", which
if you are using grub is pretty much a no-op.  I think you can put it
in either /root/bin or /sbin.  If your distribution acquires its own
installkernel in the future, it'll be put in /sbin.  However one in
/root/bin will pre-empt one in /sbin.  Just something to be aware of.

--
Russell Senior         ``shtal latta wos ba padre u prett tu nashtonfi
seniorr at aracnet.com      mrlosh''  -- Bashgali Kafir for ``If you have