[PLUG] more hardware trouble

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Mon Oct 13 15:36:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 15:16, Russell Senior wrote:

> Russell> Technically, on this motherboard the chipset is only rated at
> Russell> 66 MHz, however, there are jumper settings for 68, 75, 83 and
> Russell> 100 MHz.
>
> Derek> So, did it boot when set to 100MHz?
>
> Russell> No.  But I haven't been very far down that road.
>
> Update: I had momentary success at 83 MHz, but after the first time, I
> got no video on a reboot.  At 75 MHz, seems to be working, which gets
> me back to 300 MHz, which is an adequate improvement for me, from a
> single 300 MHz CPU to a dual 300MHz.  I compiled a new kernel just to
> stress things a little, but no failures or smoke alarms so far.

That means that the PCI (and AGP) bus is overclocked too.  Some video
cards can handle it better than others.  Other PCI cards might have
problems too.  Does the BIOS have a setting for the clock ratios?  If
you can get the PCI bus speed down, it might boot on the higher bus
speeds.

Good Luck,

Derek Loree