[PLUG] Printer Problems

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Mon Oct 13 15:43:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 12:11, Prutzer wrote:
> Hi All,
> Okay here's the rub:
>
> I have an HP1600c networked via tcp/ip.
> Works great with my Win98 machine.
> When I go to use it with my Linux 7.3 machine, it just starts spitting
> pages until it runs out of pages. Sometimes it may even print some
> obscure, obfuscated character or two. Mostly, it just spits pages.
> I downloaded the latest driver (hpijs) and installed it.
> I can run test pages from Linux and from Star office.
> But try and type a letter and then print it, it just starts spitting
> pages and won't quit unless I rm the printer. It spits pages
> regardless of what text editor I use. It prints test pages from
> Linux,KDE,Star Office, Open Office. Just refuses to work in a normal
> mode.
>
> I'm at a lost and would like to be able to get this to work so I can
> get some work done at home.
>
> Anyone run across this or something similar?

Yep, sure have.  The hpijs drivers actually cover a large range of
printers.  Finding the correct driver was not possible in my case, but I
found a couple that do an adequate job.  I also found a few that would
spit out page after page of a few little tiny characters printed on a
mostly blank page.  Keep trying different drivers, one of them is bound
to work.

Good Luck

Derek Loree