[PLUG] New kernel won't boot

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Oct 13 17:48:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Russell Senior wrote:

> Doesn't seem very likely.  Look at auth/i386/boot/install.sh.  Nothing
> comes close to touching /etc/modules.conf.

  Well, I managed to do so ... somehow. I put 'alias eth0 pcnet_cs' in there
but the boot messages scrolling by indicate there's no /proc/pcmcia. Sure
enough, there ain't.

  I think the quickest thing to do is a complete re-install. I've no idea
what I've done and I'm not sufficiently well versed to know how to fix it
piecemeal. For example, there's /etc/pcmcia with a bunch of files in there,
but apparently they're not seen during boot. And, I don't know what I had in
/etc/modules.conf before because I didn't need to pay attention.

  Sigh. Well, if I'm going to screw up an kernel build I'm not going to do
it half-way. Nope, not this guy. Total catastrophy; nothing less will do.

  Lowers head, hooks up floppy drive, pulls out Slackware-8.1 boot floppies
(because the pcmcia driver with 9.0 won't recognize the cards in the system
... but I can try making 9.1 boot floppies.) Nuts. There goes this evening.

  I'm off for dinner -- I need to get away from this for a while. If there's
a less drastic solution, I'd sure like to learn what it is.

Many thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)