[PLUG] OT: PGP Sigs in Spam

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Wed Oct 15 00:45:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, AthlonRob wrote:
> That sucks (the court case, that is).  There is absolutely no reason why
> bicycles should not be held to the same law as the rest of traffic.

They are.  The law about impeding traffic ONLY applies to motor vehicles.
The rest of traffic is exempt.

> If anything, they are *more* capable of pulling over and allowing
> regular traffic to go by.

Wow.  You realize that your statement implies that bicycles are NOT
"regular traffic"?

That's what we'd call a "double standard".  Bicycles are not "regular
traffic", so they should step aside and let that through.  But bicycles
ARE "regular traffic" and should abide by the same laws as everything
else.

> I think I'll write the my state representative about that one - get the
> word motor out of that law.

That would make every pedestrian a criminal.

> It may be arguable from another standpoint, though, I don't know -
> bicycles are bound to all the same laws a motorized vehicle is except
> for those by their very nature they cannot follow.  That seems to
> include them in the motor world, if you ask me...

Huh?  I don't get what you've written here.

> > Yes. They can block traffic... By going slower than necessary to arrive
> > at their destination. The purpose of a road is to travel (in whatever
> > vehicle) from point A to point B. The purpose of the CM rides is to
> > disrupt life. It's a statement, not a journey.
>
> It's downright disgusting.

Using the streets for any purpose other than travelling in the shortest
distance from Point A to Point B is disgusting?

What do you think of block parties?

How about parades?

What about Sunday drives in the country?

Kickball in the street?

> Not just downright dangerous - I'd call it reckless driving.  At the
> very least, I'd call it careless driving.

Doesn't that require endangering the lives of others?

The cars are the dangerous weapons on the street, not the bicycles.

> > Not when it's a car and a bicycle IN THE SAME LANE. There's not room for
> > a car and a bicycle in the same lane. Show me law that states this is
> > so.
>
> That idiot would have had a hard time explaining to his boss why he
> couldn't make it to work the next day... "Ummm.. well... I was blocking
> traffic and forced myself into a car..."

Which vehicle was applying force in that situation?  The bicycle is almost
never the dominant force in a collision.

> (that assumes, likely incorrectly, the individual is employed)

Phew.  Keep those prejudices and baseless assumptions flying, boy.  You're
just digging your own grave.

> > > First, Critical Mass is not a staged event.  It is not arranged or
> > > promoted.  It just happens.
> >
> > Wrong. I know for a fact it's staged. The website even says it. The last
> > Friday of every month @ 5:30. Meet at Waterfront Park, under the
> > Burnside Bridge.
>
> Geeze - what is wrong with these people?  Maybe all of us with SUVs
> should go take over some bike lanes.  Oh, no, I suppose that wouldn't be
> right.

Actually, it would be illegal, right or wrong.

Personally, I'd love to see bike lanes abolished, though.

> > I don't see convenience as an evil. It's convenient for me to ride Max
> > to work, so I do. When it was convenient to drive, I did that. For some,
> > it's convenient to drive everywhere. For others, it's just as convenient
> > to bike everywhere. We do what is most convenient for each of us,
> > according to our values.
>
> And for many folks, riding Max or the bus just doesn't work at all.

Sounds like you need some lifestyle re-evaluation.  You could make it work
and probably free up lots of time for your self, family and friends, if
you wanted to put an ounce of effort into creating a more pleasant life.

Or you can continue to follow the heard and do as you're instructed, live
in the 'burbs and work miles and miles away from home, spend a quarter of
your income on your transportation, waste a tenth of every working day
just getting to and from work, use the largest room in your house to store
your vehicle, and rely upon tens of thousands of dollars in government
subsidies to support this ignorant lifestyle and provide public storage
for that piece of your private residence that you insist on dragging
around everywhere you go.

Do that.  It's very responsible and respectful.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net