[PLUG] New kernel won't boot

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Oct 15 06:17:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, AthlonRob wrote:

> Well, if you can get setup loaded from floppy disks, you can chose to
> install just the few packages that need reinstallation without messing up
> everything else.  Slack's installation scripts are really pretty flexible
> in that regard.

  The frustration with the rootdisk, pcmcia.dsk, is that only the version
from 8.1 recognizes my external, pcmcia-connected "LG" brand cdrom drive.
The ones that come with 9.0 and 9.1 just do not see that drive, so I get to
the point of specifying from where the source files are to be installed and
it's a black hole to the installer. Sigh. Of course, I wrote to Patrick
about this when the 9.0 set came but I never received any response.

> You could, alternatively, boot up with the setup disks, mount your drive,
> mount the CD-ROM drive, then copy the packages and the kernel over... not
> entering setup at all... then reboot back to your system and installpkg
> them.

  Well, as long as I had totally trashed the system (I doubt that learning
how would have been possible), I re-installed 8.1 last evening. Today I'll
upgrade to 9.1 and leave the stock kernel alone. :-)

  Then I'll copy over the .bashrc and .bash_profile that Slackware does not
have, fill in /etc/skel, /etc/host*, add me again as a user and get back to
the real world. Oh, ... I need to tinker with /etc/rc.d/rc.network, too.

  I may very well have mis-configured the kernel and missed the pcmcia
driver I needed. I don't know. Painful waste of time, that's what it's been.
I will note, however, that I found it easier to upgrade from 8.1 -> 9.0 ->
9.1 than it was doing the equivalent upgrades on Red Hat. Perhaps that's
related to changes between versions, but the Red Hat major version upgrades
were always complex and fraught with potential dangers -- for me.

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)