[PLUG] OT: PGP Sigs in Spam

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Wed Oct 15 11:51:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 00:32, Jeme A Brelin wrote:

> And war is stupid because it does not bring more happiness to the world,
> only more misery.
>
> War is hell.  War should be avoided.  The best way to avoid war is to not
> fight.

If we lived by that.... we'd still be ruled by The Queen today.  No,
wait, we're on the West side of the US.  If we weren't hablando espanol,
we'd be ruled by one of Napolean's descendants.  I'll be he'd be pissed
off by crazy bicyclists, though... that might not be pretty for you.

> > They are folks trying to make a statement, and causing a lot of grief
> > and hard feelings in the process.
>
> I think they are people out travelling the city's roads and having loads
> of fun and spreading joy in the process.

If you honestly believe that, then you have a ways to go in your study
of humanity.

There are some extreme problems with the CM philosophy.  First, by
clogging the roads, they slow down the petroleum-fed vehicles, bringing
them, often, to a complete stop.  I don't believe any CM rider will
argue they don't slow down traffic.  Since they know they do it, and do
it over and over again, we must assume it is intentional.

Slowing down traffic, forcing traffic to stop, causes the cars to sit
there idling.  That wastes gasoline (or diesel) and forces more
pollutants into the air.  Isn't that contrary to the values of the
average CM rider?  Don't many of them ride their bikes specifically to
help keep the air just that much cleaner?  They're causing more
petroleum bi-products to be released into the atmosphere than if they
would have just gone home for the day.

Another substantial problem is you state they believe they are spreading
joy, beckoning others to join them on their bicycles.  Gee, I have a
picture in my head of people frolicking in a field, kinda like the
XP-default desktop field, maybe.

CM riders *piss people off*.  They ride their bicycles to block traffic,
eating the time of regular commuters.  You will never win somebody over
to your way of thinking if your most visible method is offensive to
everybody you're trying to win over.  If I argued for reduced
governmental gun control by pulling out my .22 pistol and firing it at
3AM just off the property of every state representative's residence who
lived outside of a city limits, waking them up, I think I would find I
wouldn't be winning them over to my side, now would I?

Or maybe I could borrow my friend's blank-firing pistol and go outside
the capital building and start firing it.  I'm sure that would win them
over to my side, right?

Wrong.

It makes absolutely no sense at all.

Rob