[PLUG] Linus/Linux/Open Source in Wired

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Wed Oct 15 11:55:03 UTC 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Russ Johnson wrote:
> If one is "running" something, are they not it's defacto leader?

For one, the headline calls him "Leader of the Free World" and the article
goes on to say he's "benevolent dictator of Planet Linux, the largest
collaborative project in history".  I'd hardly call the kernel the largest
collaborative project in history.  If you wanted to call ONE project the
largest, it would probably be the GNU project.  And that DOES have a
leader.

As for your contention that someone who runs something must be the leader,
I would say perhaps no.  A leader leads.  A leader provides vision and
direction.  It is very possible for someone to have nominal or even real
control over a project, but not be the most active visionary or director
of the project.  That person would run the project without being the
leader.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin