[PLUG] OT: PGP Sigs in Spam

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Wed Oct 15 12:50:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Michael C. Robinson wrote:
> Okay, so now we all realize that Portland is a very poorly designed city
> when it comes to transportation where all the bridges it has are a real
> monetary drain.

Absolutely not.  I think Portland has one of the best transportation
systems in the country and more bridges means more paths.  Money is
irrelevant.

> There's a north and south transportation bottleneck.

I take 20th for most trips on the east side.  Works pretty darn well.  If
I need to go south of Powell, I'll take the Springwater trail.

I don't ever have to go north-south on the west side outside of a few
blocks downtown.  Thankfully, I almost never have to go west of NW/SW
15th.

> One thing that's alarming is that PSU and PCC are trying to grow, yet
> any parking being added is needed even before these expansions.

You shouldn't be driving to these places.  They are common transit points
and should be approached via mass transit.

The city is ringed with Park And Ride lots for folks that cannot
comfortably reach mass transit from their homes.  But if your daily
business requires you to use the Park And Ride lots, you should probably
reconsider your living situation.

PSU should never add any parking.  It is downtown.

> They really need to spread out more.

Excuse me?  Have you seen Atlanta, Los Angeles or Seattle lately?

Spreading out does NOTHING to decrease traffic congestion or improve
travel times.  It DOES, however, increase the total number of automobile
trips per day by separating people from their destinations and like
businesses from each other.

> A PCC branch in St. Helens would be nice.

Aren't we a little self-serving?

> The other option is regular, reliable, cost affective, fast public
> transportation system out to Scappoose and St. Helens, but that's not
> likely to happen anytime soon.

No, the density doesn't warrant it and the folks out there haven't been
receptive to paying for it themselves.

> The original plans to run Cornelius pass across Sauvie's Island to
> Vancouver will eventually have to be implemented.

Only if something goes horribly wrong... or we continue on our current
path.  These are equivalent statements, I guess.

> I for one don't see why you have to change the farm zoning to run a
> highway through.

Run-off, noise, and air quality are just some of the important concerns.

> The greater concern is law enforcement.

What greater concern?  If people were just respectful and accomodating,
there wouldn't need to be any at all.

> Then again, that would probably improve it since the highway would start
> in the center of the island.

Huh?

J.
--