[PLUG] Linus/Linux/Open Source in Wired

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Wed Oct 15 16:56:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Russ Johnson wrote:
> Ah, but you said, "I can't see how anyone would call him the leader of
> anything." He is leading the kernel project.

Disposing of that idea was the purpose of my second paragraph.

> > As for your contention that someone who runs something must be the
> > leader, I would say perhaps no.  A leader leads.  A leader provides
> > vision and direction.  It is very possible for someone to have nominal
> > or even real control over a project, but not be the most active
> > visionary or director of the project.  That person would run the
> > project without being the leader.
>
> Ah, but leader can also be used to denote the first of many.

He wasn't anywhere near the first in the Free World.  In fact, he is a
fair late-comer to the idea of public collaboration and still has a pretty
loose idea of what it means to be Free.

And please, please, edit your headers.  I don't need two copies of every
response you write to one of my posts and neither does anyone else on the
list.  It takes two seconds and makes things nicer for other people.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net