[PLUG] New kernel won't boot

Kenneth G. Stephens kens at kens.cad2cam.com
Wed Oct 15 18:46:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 09:33, Russell Senior wrote:

> Rich>   I may very well have mis-configured the kernel and missed the
> Rich> pcmcia driver I needed. I don't know. Painful waste of time,
> Rich> that's what it's been.
>
> The thing that made it a waste was that you chose to flush the
> learning opportunity down the toilet.  Why don't you bring your box to
> the clinic this Saturday and have someone show you how to build a
> kernel properly and you will plunger some of the lossage back out.
>
> --
> Russell Senior         ``shtal latta wos ba padre u prett tu nashtonfi
> seniorr at aracnet.com      mrlosh''  -- Bashgali Kafir for ``If you have
>                          had diarrhoea many days you will surely die.''

Sounds like your initrd-<kernel version>.img does not have the pcmcia
modules in it.  After installing the new kernel, run mkinitrd
/boot/initrd-<new kernel-version>.img <new kernel-version>.  This should
pickup all the modules you need to get started.  The generic initial ram
disk may not have the laptop modules in it.

HTH

Ken
CADTOCAM.COM