[PLUG] more hardware trouble

Sasha Romanosky sasha_romanosky at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 16 12:01:02 UTC 2003

fwiw,

I went through something very similar to this a couple of days ago. On
power up, the fans would spin, but no beeps, no post, no video. For some
reason taking the memory out at least made it beep. The problem was the
CPU. This behavior was identical wether it was the broken CPU (that I
had just purchased) or when trying a CPU from another machine that was
known _not_ to work with the motherboard.

As well, in the past I had trouble getting a machine to POST and it
turned out to be that the motherboard bios default settings required the
cpu fan connected and running. I think what I had was a cpu fan that was
working but not connected to the "cpu fan" MB connector. In the bios,
there was a way to disable this safety feature. But how to get to the
bios in the first place? Well, in a very small font on some obscure page
of the motherboard manual, it mentioned that you could cirumvent this
feature by holding down the SHIFT key (or something) on boot.

Hope this helps.
sasha