[PLUG] Power off on shutdown: Slackware-9.1

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Fri Oct 17 01:10:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 21:00, Anthony Schlemmer wrote:
> Not entirely related to this post but I've noticed that ever since I
> upgraded my system to SuSE 8.2, I cannot reboot my system anymore with
> the "reboot" command. When I issue a "reboot" command the system goes
> into runlevel 6 and all of the processes shutdown but the system never
> gets to the part where it actually reboots. Instead it just hange with
> the HD activity LED on constantly. I have to press the reset button to
> get my system too reboot.
>
> I've never seen this problem with Linux before and this is on a system
> that I've had for nearly 3 years and it has run nothing but Linux and
> I've never had any problems with the box. I don' reboot very often and
> so I guess I didn't notice this feature before. If I do a halt my
> system goes down cleanly and powers down so I'm left wondering what a
> reboot does differently and why it's broken all of a sudden.

Those are two different signals to the BIOS.  My guess is that you have
a ...hmm... broken ?? errr... older BIOS?  The new default kernel was
probably compiled without support for your ummm... particular BIOS.  You
might want to try updating your BIOS before changing your kernel.  See
your motherboard manufacturer's web site for more information.  Warning,
this usually entails booting into DOS and can be a very scary
experience.

Good Luck,

Derek Loree