[PLUG] wget timeout value

Mark Griskey mark at linuxhardware.net
Fri Oct 17 21:39:02 UTC 2003

wget and the -T option, in my experience was a headache, simply because
setting it seemed to do nothing.  It seems that wget, at least on Linux, is
using the value in:

/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_retries2

for timeouts, which is set to 15 minutes. Lower this value and your timeout
will match.  I had to use wget for a very large harvesting project, and this
was the source of much frustration.

However, there is a patch, that will allow wget's -T to behave independent of
the value in tcp_retries2.

Here is the link:
http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/409/2000/11/0/4723942/

I've been using a version of wget compiled with this patch for quite sometime
and have been very happy with the results.

More information can be found here:

http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/409/2000/1/0/3189215/

I'd be more than happy to help you compile a version with the patch in place
should you need it.

Mark