Fedora comments (was: [PLUG] Copying text from pdf)

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Sat Oct 18 20:07:02 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-18 at 19:45, Carla Schroder wrote:
>  <snip standard sucksville-Debian-install tale>
>
> Yes, Debian is PITA to install. And as cool as apt, dpkg, dselect, and
> synaptic are, there's a learning curve. I think a "medium Linux skills" user
> would do fine, if they were willing to take the time, and could find the
> documentation. There are boatloads of user documentation, though it may take
> a bit of digging to find it. Look on debian.org, and look on your own system-
> there are docs and manuals squirreled away all over the place, in
> /usr/share/doc, and various other locations. Think of it as treasure hunt. :)

FWIW, I don't see Debian doing very much that Gentoo doesn't do....

Conversely, I suppose Gentoo doesn't do a lot Debian doesn't do....

I like Gentoo a lot, though.  I think I like it about even with
Slackware for the desktop, and two or three notches down for a server.

> Prettied-up Debians are a good way to get started. I use Libranet, 2.8.1 is
> Sarge-based. Latest and greatest of everything. Just as good is Knoppix,
> which can also be installed to a hard drive.

Knoppix is the bomb.  :-)

Anybody heard if they have cloop working with 2.6.0-test yet?

> I spent the afternoon trying to restore a boogered system
> file on a non-booting Win2k. There is absolutely nothing (that I know of) in
> the windows world that is equivalent to Knoppix, or the SuperRescue CD, or
> Tom's Root Boot. The Windows "rescue disk" is four fricken floppy disks, and
> they do little that is useful. I finally fixed it with Knoppix, and I did not
> have to reformat and reinstall the whole damned works, which is the preferred
> method for all minor windoze fixes, and all my data and configs were
> undisturbed. (Just one little system file! gaaahh!)
>
> This article was a great help for fixing my #$%$# Winduhs system with Knoppix,
> http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

If you're confident using mostly non-GUI utilities, LNX-BBC is way super
cool as a rescue disk.  I just used it to rescue a computer infected
with <insert latest virus here> in no time flat.  Just fired it up,
selected a safe kernel (this box doesn't like default 2.4.x kernels -
oh, I modified LNX-BBC to support multiple kernels, too...), scp'd
f-prot over from my server, and had it scan the hard drive.  VERY
simple.

LNX-BBC utilizes the cloop module like Knoppix does... it's a lot like
Knoppix, I think, without all the jazzy desktop stuff.  I was able to
get links -g on there, running in X, though.  By default it comes with
Browsex for X browsing and lynx and links for console browsing.  The
latest CVS (which just recently started booting, I understand) actually
includes Mozilla Firebird as a graphical browser.

All that fits on a 50MB CD.

I can't think of a better rescue disk than that.  :-)

Rob