Fedora comments (was: [PLUG] Copying text from pdf)

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Sun Oct 19 01:41:01 UTC 2003

Zot> Yes I could compile/download my own.  But I have clients.
Zot> Multiplied out, I have to react for over 1000 machines.  Often
Zot> they need similar latest thingies (Mozilla being #1).  Having
Zot> binary packages I can send is critical.

I've always had this inuition that Debian-like infrastructure could
solve this problem for you.  You cache debian packages (swiped from
Debian archives or built yourself if necessary) that you have tested
and vouch for for your clients, and have the sources.list on your 1000
machines point at your tested cache.  Then, either update via a cron
or some other automated mechanism, e.g., roughly:

  for h in $host-list ; do
    ssh -l root $h 'apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade'
  done

I don't know how well this would work in practice, but seems plausible
enough to be worthy of further exploration.  Alas, I manage
considerably fewer than 1000 machines, and at my scale it doesn't look
worth the effort.

Zot> Better yet, binaries that they can download from someone else.

That part might be tricky.

--
Russell Senior         ``shtal latta wos ba padre u prett tu nashtonfi
seniorr at aracnet.com      mrlosh''  -- Bashgali Kafir for ``If you have