Fedora comments (was: [PLUG] Copying text from pdf)

Keith Nasman keith at ahapala.net
Sun Oct 19 09:56:02 UTC 2003

On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 06:16:32PM -0700, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> Getting it running, however, was pretty tedious. I'm sure that more
> experienced Debian admins know better ways of getting the 'testing'
> release installed, but for me it was difficult:

As a recent Debian convert, I know of what you speak. I've got my base
install routine down.

1) Pop in the Woody CDs
2) type bf24 at the boot prompt (to install with a 2.4 kernel)
3) upon finish of the stable install, replace "stable" with "testing"
or "unstable" in /etc/apt/sources.list
4) apt-get update && apt-get -u dist-upgrade

After slurping much bandwidth, I've got my updated machine.

I've converted converted six machines from redhat so far ranging from
servers running stable to laptops running unstable. One idea of debian
I really like is the "perpetual upgrade". With the updating/upgrading
process I can upgrade my system without a reboot (of course to running
a new kernel requires a reboot).

BTW, I've come to like "aptitude" better than that apt-get
suite. Check it out :-)

> So far, Red Hat is talking about two Core releases a year. Many
> (most?) admins, of course want nothing to do with two upgrades a year.
> Once a year is good for development desktops, and once every 24 to 36
> months isn't so bad for servers and business desktops.

I haven't been keeping up with Red Hat, I threw in the towel when they
came out with RH9 so soon after 8, changed the libraries and then
started this Fedora migration.

I'd like to know if these core releases will require downing the machine,
inserting the CD, upgrading and then rebooting.

Keith