[PLUG] Loading sound modules in Slackware-9.1

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Sun Oct 19 10:46:01 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 09:27, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Oct 2003, AthlonRob wrote:
>
> > That's odd - can you cut-and-paste the exact input and output?  ie; what
> > you typed and what it spat back out to you?
>
> Rob,
>
>   Yes it's odd. At the clinic Dan helped me identify what drivers are needed
> for the built-in sound chip so why they would not load when I brought the
> system back is particularly strange.
>
>   In my original message I noted that I tried 'modprobe ac97.o.gz' and
> presented what came back. Heh! Just now I logged into that system ane ran
> 'lsmod'. No soundcord module either today. Let me try loading the specific
> modules again ...
>
> # modprobe ac97.o.gz
> modeprobe: Can't locate module ac97.o.gz
>
> # locate ac97.o.gz
> /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/sound/ac97.o.gz
>
>   To write that I'm puzzled, perplexed and out of my knowledge set is an
> understatement.

This usually happens when the kernel has been recompiled, but the
modules were not installed.

> > Oh, and BTW, Slackware 9.1 defaults to ALSA sound by default now.  Alsa
> > modules use the snd- format for their modules.  You might check the Alsa
> > Soundcard Matrix for your motherboard (or its chip) and see what alsa
> > module to use, although if you installed hotplug I would have expected
> > it to have been automagically loaded for you.
>
>   The motherboard is a MSI KT3 Ultra2 (MS-6380E v1.X with the VIA Apollo
> KT333 and VT8235 chipsets. The audio chip is a Realtek ALC650. Neither
> Realtek nor ALC650 is listed on the alsa soundcard matrix page.

Looks top me like you need to get drivers (ALSA) for this one.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx?lineid=5&famid=12&series=8&Software=True

This web site has a linux section.

Good Luck,

Derek Loree